United We Stand

In My Shoes Luncheon To Benefit Children With Developmental Disabilities

JAFCO is hosting its 8th annual In My Shoes Luncheon on Oct. 18 at Boca West Country Club in Boca Raton to help the community comprehend what it's like to raise a child with developmental disabilities. The event is chaired by Kim Fetterman and Lori Solodkin, who have helped make this luncheon a success for many years.

Funds raised at the In My Shoes Luncheon will benefit programs and families of the JAFCO Children's Ability Center, which opened its doors in 2014 to meet a vital need in South Florida for family enrichment, support and respite. The Ability Center helps hundreds of children and families each month, offering families a beautiful, clean and fun place where their children can be safe and feel like they belong. Services include assessment; enhanced case management and referrals; social skills and life skills training; support groups for moms, dads, siblings and grandparents; summer camp (with a sleepover option); and family fun days. The Ability Center also has a respite program where children can spend a day, weekend or up to two weeks of fun while their parents take a short break, sometimes for the first time since their child was diagnosed.

One of the highlights of the event is the Ribbon of Hope Ceremony, during which the entire room is emotionally united in support of parents who have the challenging task of raising a child with a developmental disability. The event will feature a boutique followed by the luncheon and program. The Boca Raton Observer is the event's exclusive magazine sponsor. O

For more information, call 954-315-8698 or email jstein@jafco.org.

Back to topbutton