Forging Connections

Jewish Education Center To Honor Area Residents At 14th Annual Gala Dinner

The Jewish Education Center of South Florida will host its 14th annual Gala Dinner on Feb. 25, honoring Billi Marcus, Larry and Susan Demerer, and Dr. Michael and Sandra Lapkin.

The event will take place at B'nai Torah in Boca Raton to highlight the JEC's seven divisions that touch an average of 525 lives weekly.

Rabbi Shimon Feder, JEC director, founded the nonprofit in 2005 to combat Jewish assimilation and apathy in South Florida through inspiring programs, experiences and trips to Israel. The divisions include Fun Family Hebrew School with classes for both parents and kids, Camp Nageela Boca, College Campus Outreach Program, Ohr High School Program, Adult Education, Women's Programming and the Shabbat and High Holidays Program.

"There is no feeling like this in the world," Rabbi Feder says. "Changing lives and connecting people to something meaningful - they feel great as we work to make a difference. Thinking about the impact we have on them, their families and the next generation is - simply put - humbling."

A typical week at the JEC is replete with classes, one-on-one learning opportunities, renowned guest speakers and the opportunity to experience a full Shabbat in the east Boca Raton community.

"The most important impact the JEC has had on me is opening my eyes to more Jewish rituals and learning," says participant Melissa Glassband. "It has contributed to enriching my life with Judaism at a level where I am comfortable. I never felt so connected to my religion and Israel."

The Boca Raton Observer is the event's exclusive magazine sponsor. O For more information, call 561-544-2854 or visit jecsfl.org.

Back to topbutton