Bridging The Gap

Tech-Savvy Teen Sam Friedman’s Nonprofit Helps Seniors With Computer Literacy

by

Sam Friedman was always his family’s go-to guy for computer problems. His grandparents, especially, relied on him for help with digital devices. “I had a natural knack for tinkering and figuring things out,” says Friedman, 19, who grew up in West Palm Beach and graduated from Suncoast High School.

It was his experience troubleshooting for his grandparents that gave Friedman the idea to start the nonprofit South Florida Tech for Seniors (SFTFS) in 2019. “It occurred to me that there were a lot of people like my grandparents who don’t have people they can go to for help,” he says.

Friedman recruited some tech-savvy high school volunteers to help him. The timing was perfect because when COVID-19 hit the following year, the young geeks of SFTFS were in high demand with seniors who didn’t know how to use Zoom and other digital tools. “If you couldn’t do video chat you couldn’t see your family. We saw a very big boom during the pandemic,” Friedman says.

SFTFS holds tech support events each month at the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach. Seniors bring in their computer devices and get one-on-one assistance. Century Village resident Scott Hanley, 60, says he didn’t know how to use his email program until he started going to SFTFS events at the library. “I knew how to pick up an email and read it, but I didn’t know how to respond,” he says. “Now, I’ve been to six or seven sessions. They showed me shortcuts, how to navigate and not freak out if you hit the wrong button. They are very attentive and very nice kids.”

Friedman wants to expand the reach of SFTFS, especially into Boca Raton. He’s hoping some local students will volunteer as tech assistants. SFTFS handles some issues using software that allows the techs to access computers remotely. It doesn’t make house calls. The organization also has a YouTube channel with how-to videos.

“This technology thing for people my age, it comes very easy. But for senior citizens, it’s a struggle. We’re not doing this to build a company or make a profit,” says Friedman, whose younger siblings Rose and Max Friedman now help run SFTFS while he attends Cornell University in New York. “We’re doing this to help others.”

For information, call 561-444-TECH or visit seniortech.org.

Back to topbutton