From Uncertainty To Unconditional Care

A Safe Haven For Newborns Protects From Abandonment And Abuse

by

Pregnant teens and women of all ages can take comfort in knowing that help is on the way from the time they find out they’re expecting, throughout their pregnancy and even after the baby is born.

The Gloria M. Silverio Foundation, a 501(c)(3) Miami-based not-for-profit was founded in 2000 by Nick E. Silverio to honor his wife, Gloria, who was killed in a car accident caused by a speeding driver. The foundation project, A Safe Haven For Newborns, kicked off in 2001 to assist pregnant girls and women as they make their decision to either keep their baby or have it adopted. Counseling, parenting, health-related care, adoption and confidentially placing the Safe Haven Baby with their forever home are all services offered at no charge.

“Gloria and I were unable to have children, but had a deep love for them,” explains Silverio. “We’re godparents to 14. My faith taught me that God has a plan for all of us; you just have to listen,” he says.

Silverio, a Wisconsin native and previous IT business owner, explains that A Safe Haven For Newborns helps mothers in many ways — through referral counseling, shelters, maternity homes, help for the abused, 24/7 Florida and National Helplines and providing baby items. 

According to Silverio, by August 2023, the nonprofit had helped more than 6,000 women and girls in their time of need (with 72 birth moms choosing adoption) and saved 381 babies.

“The infants are adopted through licensed adoption agencies,” Silverio points out. “We never violate the mom’s confidentiality; she has 30 days to reclaim her parental rights and can decide even after she gives birth.”

Fundraisers like annual galas, run/walks, golf tournaments and telethons make it possible for A Safe Haven For Newborns to exist, he adds. Social media, volunteers (including students) and hospital/community partnerships also contribute to the nonprofit’s success.

“We believed, from the beginning, that if we saved only one life, all our efforts would be worthwhile.”

For more information or to support A Safe Haven For Newborns, call 305-882-1304, ext. 103 or visit asafehavenfornewborns.com. To contact the 24/7 confidential helpline, call 877-767-2229.

Back to topbutton