The Need To Read

Tommy Kirschner Fights Child Literacy One Book At A Time

by

When 15-year-old Tommy Kirschner discovered that less than 40% of students in the United States can read at a proficient level, he stepped in to make a difference. 

Kirschner’s newest pandemic initiative, Children Learning in the Magic of Books (CLIMB), seeks to provide gently used books to elementary schoolchildren in low-income areas. 

“I know the impact that reading has had on my life, so I know it can change the lives of those around me as well,” says the freshman from Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale who began collecting books last fall. “I’m grateful to be a part of this mission that gives them the opportunity to become readers.” 

CLIMB now has more than 600 used books collected for its upcoming book fair at Orchard View Elementary in Delray Beach this spring.  

The goal, Kirschner says, is to “get as many books to as many schools,” and to bring back the joys of reading for students who might not have the means to find accessible books at home. 

During the 2020 lockdown, Kirschner found himself with an iPad and plenty of books to help him through his school year, but he says he often wondered if every student had the same. 

“School has its challenges, but reading was a way to take my mind off of it and teach me new lessons at once. The more I read, the more I wanted this for everyone,” Kirschner says. 

The aspiring journalist and literacy advocate also credits Marilyn Perlyn, founder and CEO of Opportunities for Children to Help Others (OCHO), a nonprofit, for her role and support in finding a school that needed CLIMB’s assistance. 

“It was surreal to find that even in my community, elementary school kids have a hard time with reading,” Kirschner says. “But working with OCHO has opened my eyes to so much that it pushes me to want to save as many lives as I can because I truly believe that reading can save lives.”

From chapter books to those with pictures and short stories, CLIMB has rounded them all up, and they are not stopping, even after the initial event, Kirschner notes.  

“If I can impact just one student at a school or a book fair, then I know they will be in a much better place,” Kirschner says. “We’re climbing for literacy and I’m excited to be on this journey.”

To help CLIMB accomplish its mission of bringing books to students in need, contact Tommy Kirschner at climbingforliteracy@gmail.com.

Back to topbutton