Getting Real

Entrepreneur And Reality Star Jill Zarin Is Completely At Home In Boca Raton

by

Boca Raton is a happy place for Jill Zarin. When she's at her local home, the 54-year-old shares breakfast with her father, Sol, and burns up the tennis courts.

It's the perfect escape for the entrepreneur, philanthropist and former reality star of Bravo's "The Real Housewives of New York" - who has had a painful year. She lost her husband of 18 years, Bobby, to thyroid cancer in January.

"I'm OK. It's different. It's less hectic and crazy and busy, but, because he's at peace, I'm at peace with that," Zarin says about life these days.

She's working to make something positive out of the loss. In July, she hosted her sixth annual luncheon to benefit the International Thyroid Oncology Group, and she has donated more than $100,000 to the nonprofit.

Now that she has more time on her hands, Zarin plans to visit South Florida more frequently. You may catch a glimpse of her at two of her favorite area restaurants, New York Prime and Farmer's Table in Boca Raton.

Should you spot Zarin, feel free to say hello - she says she enjoys being recognized: "It's fun, and I'm always very approachable."

Lately, she has been spending time updating her book "Secrets of a Jewish Mother" and is busy with her latest business venture, Jill Zarin Rugs.

"The contemporary rugs are really pretty, inexpensive, soft as silk and are virtually stain-proof. It's a natural transition from fabric," she explains, referring to Zarin Fabrics, the family business that Bobby's father, Harry, founded on the Lower East Side in 1936.

Zarin also adopted Bossi, a Pomeranian who gave her rug collection the ultimate test. (It passed overwhelmingly, she says.)

"I'm really happy to have another dog in the house. It's another change in my life," she says, adding that letting her dogs out in the backyard is something she can't do in Manhattan.

And she has fond feelings for the doctors and staff of Boca Raton Regional Hospital.

"Bobby must have been there eight times. We were able to live safely in Boca because of Boca Hospital and the incredible doctors and amazing care." O

Back to topbutton