Going Pro

Former Boca Raton Resident Greg Joseph Signs With Cleveland Browns

by

The closest most people get to playing in the NFL is fantasy football.

But, for former Boca Raton resident Greg Joseph, that fantasy recently became a reality.

After being passed over in the 2018 NFL draft, the placekicker was signed by the Miami Dolphins as a free agent. Despite successfully completing all three preseason kicks, Joseph was released by the Dolphins on Sept. 1. About two weeks later, the 24-year-old was signed by the Cleveland Browns.

"It's an amazing opportunity," he says. "I want to do the best I can."

In 2001, Joseph moved to South Florida from South Africa with his parents, Illana and Glen. He played soccer while attending Donna Klein Jewish Academy in Boca Raton and switched to football after transferring to American Heritage School in Delray Beach.

After graduating, he enrolled at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton and received a football scholarship following his second football season. Last year, he received a bachelor's of exercise, science and health promotion from FAU and will soon complete a master's of business administration in health administration there.

Once Joseph received his football scholarship at FAU, people began telling him that he might have a shot at going pro.

"I thought, 'I've come this far, so I'll just see what happens,'" he recalls.

During season, a typical day for Joseph consists of two hours of practice as well as hitting the gym and attending meetings to prep for games. Even though he's new to Cleveland, he has a friend and mentor in Browns defensive tackle Trevon Coley, whom he played football with at FAU.

On top of being physically fit, staying mentally and emotionally healthy is vital for the athlete, especially when he misses a kick.

"I can't do anything about the past, so I build for the future and plan for my next kick to be the best kick," Joseph says.

He's well aware that achieving fame and fortune at a young age has cost some players everything, so he strives to stay humble, he says.

"I know I'm not here on my own. I've had an amazing support system, including my mom and dad, my siblings and my coaches. My family instilled values in me as a young person, and I want to give back to others after football." O

Back to topbutton