A Class Act

Dr. Jesús Armas Named School District Of Palm Beach County’s Principal Of The Year

by

Turning around a high school that was failing by every metric wasn’t a task anyone wanted – until 2010, when Jesús Armas, Ed.D., became principal of Royal Palm Beach Community High School.

Over the past decade, under his leadership, the school has completely transformed. In January, for his efforts, the School District of Palm Beach County named Dr. Armas, 56, the county’s Principal of the Year.

“I am incredibly grateful and honored and humbled,” he said while receiving the award. “I am standing here because of all of the great work that so many people have been doing at our school.”

The Loxahatchee resident also thanked his wife, Teresa; son, Daniel; and parents, Juan and Mireya, who emigrated from Cuba in the 1960s, dreaming that their son would someday earn a college education.

That became a reality when Dr. Armas, born in Miami and raised in Belle Glade, graduated from the University of Miami in 1986.

“I graduated from UM with a degree in chemistry, but I loved basketball,” he recalls. “Through the years, I taught both but gradually evolved into administration.”

Later, he earned a master’s degree and a doctorate in education from Nova Southeastern University.

In 2006, Dr. Armas started his first principalship, at Lake Worth Middle School. A few years later – undaunted by Royal Palm Beach Community High School’s high staff turnover, D rating and dangerous reputation – he transferred there.

“Being principal of any school has challenges,” he says. “You can’t get caught up with reputation or whether you’re in a rich or poor school because, ultimately, we’re still dealing with children. We have to give them our best.”

Early on, Dr. Armas created a committee of students, parents and teachers to discuss what needed to change. 

Then, armed with a shared vision, they improved school security; lowered employee turnover; and added programs like a STEM academy, the International Baccalaureate magnet program and more. Now, the graduation rate is up to almost 93 percent from around 73 percent.

So, does Dr. Armas take any personal credit for the school’s amazing progress?

“This is really for R.P.B.H.S.,” he says. “The great reward is everyone seeing what great students and staff we have.” O

Back to topbutton