Feather In Your Cap

Kai Lassen Custom Designs Beautiful Hats

by

Kai Lassen’s showroom in Jupiter is a cozy store decorated with a wall devoted to fedora hats.

Also on display is a colorful assortment of trims (decorative bands made out of different leathers, linens, silks and grosgrain) and charms. Everything in the well-rounded space is carefully curated to give shoppers something unique to celebrate their individuality.

Born in Georgia, Lassen, 39, moved to Florida at the age of 10 with a modeling career already in full swing. By the time she reached twenty, she was traveling around the world and gracing the cover of magazines like Vogue, ELLE, GQ, Grazier and Cosmopolitan. During the pandemic lockdown, Lassen found time to invest in her lifelong passion, millinery. She learned the art of hat making online and leveraged her exposure to fashion to launch an Etsy online store.

“I started making hats for myself, then my friends started ordering them and it all just blossomed,” says Lassen. “I had been waiting to bring my vision to life, when the time was right it all happened organically.”

Lassen’s hats are made from wool, fur, felt and straw, then fully customized to showcase each client’s personal style. Family heirlooms, embroidered phrases and custom logos can be added for a casual or sophisticated look. Hats range from $250 to $500, depending on the level of detail involved.

“Hats make life easier, they are perfect to wear on a bad hair day and can also help avoid sun damage,” the designer notes. “For many women now, they are just as important as shoes and handbags.”

Lassen and her husband Jud Buechler, a retired NBA player and coach, had been splitting their time between Jupiter, San Diego and their vacation home in Mexico but Lassen recently opened a showroom in Jupiter and will now be living full time there, while Buechler will split his time between their three homes.

Interest in her hats is growing and business continues to thrive. She hopes that her brand’s evolution into retail will be as seamless as her transition from fashion model to entrepreneur.

“My business is based on originality and personable service. You’re getting hands-on with the designer, a bigger company won’t do that,” she notes. “I keep my clients involved throughout the process.”

Back to topbutton