Feel The Burn

Celeb Trainer Isaac Calpito Whips Global Audience Into Shape With Torch’d

by

Isaac Calpito wants everyone to get Torch’d.

And, with thousands joining his daily livestream exercise class of the same name, the 39-year-old celebrity fitness trainer, dancer and choreographer just might make it happen.

Since the pandemic shut down most gyms in mid-March, his global community has set its collective watch for 11 a.m. EDT to tune into Torch’d, the intense Instagram workout that burns fat, tones muscles and sheds inches – leaving participants sore but empowered. 

Celebs like Kelly Ripa, Vanessa Hudgens and Lisa Rinna often participate in the program, which Calpito created in 2009 to stay fit while performing in “West Side Story” on Broadway. 

The free streams give the self-described workaholic a chance to connect with others while raising $550,000 (and counting) in donations for No Kid Hungry, a cause close to his heart. 

“I come from humble means. I grew up on food stamps,” explains Calpito, who was raised in Hawaii, where he discovered the joy of ballet at age 11. “The idea of a child not knowing where their next meal is coming from is a frightening and abysmal reality to me.”

Calpito, who often goes by his social media handle, Boots, adds: “My childhood was tough. I always felt out of place, not only in school but also in my home. Thankfully, my grandma was a ray of light who always encouraged me to be myself and showed me unconditional love. But, even the challenges I had growing up, I am thankful for. It forced me to have drive, vision and perseverance.”

Calpito describes himself as “disciplined, compassionate, curious, insatiable and festive.” He didn’t include “sassy,” but anyone who has tuned in to Torch’d or Torch’d After Dark, an evening chatfest complete with cocktails, is familiar with his cheeky remarks; razor-sharp wit; and designer-clad dog, Davis. 

His vivacity is part of his charm, says Boca Raton resident and Torch’d devotee Yvette Drucker, who rarely misses a high-energy workout session and has the transformed body to prove it: “He’s very genuine and brings a glimmer of hope in a time of darkness. He built a community, and he gives back. That resonates with me.”  

Although Calpito’s days are jam-packed with “work, work, work,” he does sometimes head to Miami, Boca Raton and Palm Beach for the “great people, great vibes,” he says. 

And, while his roster of A-list clients continues to grow – including Gwyneth Paltrow, Priyanka Chopra and Hugh Jackman – there’s one missing: “Madonna. She’s the queen, baby.” O

Back to topbutton