Heeding History’s Lessons

FAU’s Linda Medvin Makes Holocaust Education A Top Priority

by

Many of us may recall social studies as an easy class from our early schooling.

However, Linda Medvin argues that the subject is not only wide-ranging but crucial to understanding the world around us.

“Social studies is everything,” says the 67-year-old Pompano Beach resident. “It encompasses geography, anthropology and psychology to make all of the pieces fall into place.” 

She puts the pieces together as director of Florida Atlantic University’s Center for Holocaust and Human Rights Education. Thanks to her work there, she recently received the Randy Felton Outstanding Citizen Award at the Excellence in Education Awards Dinner at the Florida Council for the Social Studies annual conference in Orlando. The award recognizes the leading Floridian promoting the growth of social studies in the state.

“I was very honored,” she says. “The work we do here is so meaningful and timely in today’s world. My hope is sustainability because the children and teachers need to understand the ramifications of what goes on in this world – not just for today but for perpetuity.”

Born in Manhattan and raised in West Hempstead, New York, Medvin graduated from Syracuse University, where she majored in special education. Then, tired of cold weather, the young teacher moved to South Florida and met her future husband, Andrew. They have two sons. 

In 1999, after teaching social studies and world history for 11 years, Medvin was selected to implement a Holocaust education program for all Broward County schools through an effort by the school district to meet a state legislative mandate.

“One day, I was teaching the sixth grade; the next, I was implementing a K-12 Holocaust program,” she recalls. “There was no job description. I felt the best way was to combine with the push for literacy. I learned to read with Dick and Jane. Why not learn with Anne Frank?” 

In 2015, Medvin became director at the Center for Holocaust and Human Rights Education, through which she presents locally, nationally and internationally on the implementation of Holocaust education through social studies.  

“I try to think out of the box,” she says. “It’s not just about the concentration camps. Last year’s Women in the Holocaust program was very successful. It’s not just about the victims. It’s also about the perpetrators, the resistance and the rescuers.” O

Back to topbutton