Lessons On The Court

Tennis Coach Rick Macci Boasts A Prolific Career

by

Whether you’re a tennis player or a fan, you’ve likely heard of Rick Macci. A tennis coach and former player, Macci runs the Rick Macci Tennis Center at South County Regional Park in Boca Raton. 

The seven-time Coach of the Year has trained five top-ranking players — Jennifer Capriati, Andy Roddick, Maria Sharapova and sisters Venus and Serena Williams. His players have won eight Grand Slam championships, 319 national titles and four Junior Grand Slams. In 2010, Macci was inducted into the United States Professional Tennis Association Florida Hall of Fame. He’s also the youngest player ever admitted into the USPTA Hall of Fame (2017). 

Macci analyzes and corrects technical and strategic deficiencies, resulting in players’ improved confidence. He can construct anyone’s professional game, regardless of age. As a USPTA Master Professional, Macci trains tennis pros and coaches. He also has an online tennis instructional learning center called Netricxs. “I love helping others,” says Macci, who has authored three tennis books. “I knew early on I had a gift and passion. It’s what makes a great coach.”

In fact, Macci uses tennis to aid people on and off the court, helping players change negative attitudes to look at the world through a positive lens. His guidance has impacted kids’ lives, making them better students, more organized at home and driven about what they do. “People come back and say I’ve changed their life and work ethic.”

Born in Ohio, Macci picked up a racquet at 12 and hasn’t put it down. He lived briefly in New Jersey, where he became the state’s top adult player in 1979. Seeking warm weather, he headed to Florida and started his academy in 1985 at the Grenelefe Golf & Tennis Resort in Haines City. Among over 100 students were Tommy Ho, Capriati and the Williams sisters. Following his students’ commanding successes, the academy moved to Boca Raton in 1992.

Most recently, Macci is being portrayed by Jon Bernthal in a movie starring Will Smith called “King Richard” (making its debut on HBO Max and in theaters November 19) that tells the story of how the Williams sisters became tennis legends thanks to the rigorous coaching from their father, Richard.

At 66, the Boca Raton resident teaches 50 to 55 hours per week, seven days a week, to clients ages 3 to 93. “I love being on the court. When you love something, it’s not work,” he says, adding that he’ll never retire as he has many goals and plans for the academy, his players and the brand. 

“I like building players and it’s a gift to do it well.”

Back to topbutton