Never Stop Dreaming

Diego Binetti Finds Success in Fashion Design

by

In 1987, when Diego Binetti was 15 and a recent immigrant to Boca Raton from Buenos Aires, two women inspired him to pursue a creative career in the visual arts.

“My photography instructor at Spanish River High School was the first teacher to notice my art potential and push me,” Binetti recalls.

At home, his mother encouraged him. “She was a seamstress who embroidered beautiful, delicate bridal and evening gowns.”

Today, the 51-year-old New York City resident runs successful pop-up shops in Sag Harbor and Palm Beach — maintaining his Boca Raton roots. Through April 30, Binetti is overseeing his newest pop-up shop at landmark Paramount Theatre Building in Palm Beach while living with his parents in his childhood home.

“This is what I dreamed of when I was a young kid in Florida. I feel like I’ve made it and am part of the American Dream,” he says.

Binetti studied liberal arts at Florida Atlantic University for a year, then moved to South Beach to study fashion for two years at Miami International University of Art and Design. At 19, he designed shoes in Hialeah for the Caribbean market. Graduating at 20, he studied fashion for two years in Milan and moved to New York to be part of Italian Vogue. Binetti later consulted for Bulgari and became the Jill Stuart design director for five years.

Today, he creates unique fabrics inspired by antique encyclopedias. And he sources handcrafted sweaters from Nepal and woven tote bags from Brazil and India.

“I am focusing on sustainability, upcycling and organic materials,” he says.

“This is not another piece of clothing to be worn a couple times and tossed,” he adds. “I’m against mass production capitalism.”     

COVID-19 inspired Binetti to open his first shop in the Hamptons and sell directly to customers.

“Now I can see their reactions which has made me a better designer,” he explains.

He met Sarah Wetenhall, CEO of The Colony Hotel, in Sag Harbor and had his first pop-up in Florida on her property in May 2022. Now Binetti is hosting a pop-up shop at the Farm Stand, the seasonal outdoor marketplace at the Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington, March 1 through April 1, Wednesday – Sunday, 9 am to 4 pm.

When not at work, Binetti and his life partner, an architect, sail their boat from Shelter Island. They also visit Italy.

“Never stop dreaming,” Binetti said. “The possibilities are limitless.”

Back to topbutton