On A High Note

Jessica E. Jones Is An Opera Singer To Watch On The National Scene

by

Jessica E. Jones is one of a new breed of modern, young American opera singers doing things their own way.

At 32, she has established herself as one of the most sought-after sopranos in the nation. On top of that, she and her husband, John McCann, travel the country in an RV as she performs.

“I’m truly a nomad,” she says. “I get to call every place my own.” 

One day, she may settle down. But, for now, she’s content.

“I’ve seen so many things that I never thought possible,” she says.

Jones has incredible range as an artist, performing traditional opera, contemporary music and everything in between.

“What gives me an edge with American opera is the versatility of my voice,” she explains. “American opera is not as straightforward as traditional opera; it’s more complex. Our musical language has evolved and changed.”

She has sung the part of Euridice in Gluck’s “Orfeo ed Euridice,” Gilda in Verdi’s “Rigoletto” and even the challenging bel canto role of Lucia in Donizetti’s “Lucia di Lammermoor.” That performance was described as “full of dazzling radiance” by The Houston Review.

Brought up in Pocatello, Idaho, Jones received her musical training at Moores School of Music at the University of Houston. Early on, she admits it was frustrating. 

“No one knew what category to put me in,” she explains. 

But, as her voice matured under the guidance of such outstanding teachers as Katherine Ciesinski and Cynthia Clayton, Jones became recognized as a lyric coloratura – a soprano with a light, agile voice and a high upper extension. 

Then, her career took off. In 2018, she won a Grammy for Best Opera Recording for her soloist role as Christine Brennan in the Santa Fe Opera’s “Bates: The (R)evolution Of Steve Jobs.” This spring, she appeared in another American opera, “Frida,” with Florida Grand Opera, which played at the Miramar Cultural Center, the Miami-Dade County Auditorium and the Parker Playhouse.

Clearly, Jones is loving every minute in the spotlight.

“Opera is the Olympics of singing,” she says. “It’s a craft you build over a lifetime. You have to love it and be grateful for every opportunity you get.” O

Back to topbutton