Riding High

Horses And Politics Are Equal Passions For Lisa El-Ramey Of Loxahatchee Groves

by

Lisa El-Ramey has always liked a challenge. Her competitive spirit runs high.

It’s been a major element in her ability to excel in the art of dressage, a highly stylized and skilled form of horseback riding. It has also inspired her to operate her own farm and, most recently, run for a seat on the Loxahatchee Groves town council – and win.

El-Ramey, 55, says she’s delighted with her new role, which officially began in March: “I’m absolutely glad I did it.”

She ran for office to help preserve the rural nature of the small municipality.

“We see Loxahatchee Groves as a rural and agricultural alternative to surrounding communities,” she says.

But El-Ramey’s first love remains equestrianism, she says: “I have been horse-crazy since I was a very small child. I drove my parents insane to get me a horse.”

Born in Miami, she was just 3 when she rode her first horse. Her neurologist father, Thomas, bought a horse farm near Fort Lauderdale and began breeding Arabian horses when she was 9.

After graduating from Boca Raton Academy (now Pine Crest), El-Ramey earned a bachelor’s in zoology from the University of Florida. But she remained active in the equestrian world, especially dressage. Over the years, she has won multiple awards and championships in U.S. Dressage Federation competitions and has served as a juror at dressage events.

“Dressage is almost like yoga or gymnastics for horses,” she says. “The training involves improving strength and balance. I’ve developed a training method that anyone could use.”

Today, El-Ramey lives at Old Hammock Farm in Loxahatchee Groves, where she trains horses and teaches riding lessons.  

“I juggle a lot of things,” she says. 

She also benefits from having Wellington – called the Equestrian Capital of the World as well as the Winter Polo Capital of the World – just south of her.

Of course, she also devotes ample time to her role as councilmember. In the future, she’d like to see Loxahatchee Groves recognized as an agritourism destination – perhaps even hosting an annual festival to promote the town’s agricultural nature. O

Back to topbutton