Say Cheese

Every Picture Tells A Story For National Geographic Photographer Raymond Gehman

by

National Geographic and fine-art photographer Raymond Gehman has traveled the world shooting breathtaking, awe-inspiring landscapes and wildlife in the United States, Iceland, Canada, Central America and other places.

His work has been on the cover of the prestigious National Geographic magazine and in numerous other publications. 

Now, Gehman brings his vast experience to Old School Square in Delray Beach, where he is scheduled to teach classes starting in March at the nonprofit arts and entertainment center titled “Nature and Wildlife Photography” and “Intimate Landscape.” Classes are five weeks long, limited to eight people and will be conducted on field trips, with students required to wear masks and socially distance because of COVID-19. 

“We are very lucky to have him as an instructor,” says Sharon Morgan, director of the Creative Arts School at Old School Square. “Raymond is an amazing man and his field work is incredible.” 

Gehman, who lives in Delray Beach, is in his fifth year as an instructor at Old School Square. He’s had an affinity for Florida since his boyhood in Virginia. He visited our South Florida beaches with his family and visited on his own when he got older to surf. Photography opened his eyes even more to the state’s natural beauty. 

“I had many National Geographic assignments all over Florida, all nature and wildlife stories,” says Gehman. “I fell in love with the Everglades and all the other beautiful wetland areas. Mostly, it is the abundance and variety of wildlife that I find most compelling, especially in South Florida.”

Gehman’s association with National Geographic began while he was attending the University of Missouri’s photojournalism school. He entered a photography contest and won an internship at the magazine. He became a newspaper photojournalist after graduating, but would take long sabbaticals to freelance for National Geographic, where he eventually landed a contract. “My idea was always to work my way up to NG,” he says.

Gehman, 69, freelances and teaches students of all skill levels in the United States and several other countries. He notes on his website, “I do not expect participants to start at the level of a National Geographic photographer, but when you leave, you will feel like one!”

Back to topbutton