Write On

Local Author Rochelle Weinstein Creates Magic For Her Readers

by

Best-selling author Rochelle Weinstein knew as a young girl that she wanted to write.

An avid reader of novelists such as Sidney Sheldon, Judy Blume and Danielle Steel, she loved the escape and the way a well-written book made her feel. 

“I knew I wanted to create that magic,” says the Miami native, who is working on her sixth novel. “Writing came naturally to me.”

Weinstein, 51, writes emotionally driven stories about love, families, friendships and overcoming challenges. She describes her upcoming book, due out in 2022, as “a moving story about a motherless daughter and a daughterless mother who become unexpected allies navigating love, loss and second chances.”

Her first book, “What We Leave Behind,” reached the USA Today “Best-Selling Books” list in 2014 and her fifth book, “This Is Not How It Ends,” held the third highest spot on Amazon’s best-seller list last year. Her books are available on Kindle, in paperback and in audio format. 

Before she took up writing full-time, Weinstein had a career in the entertainment industry working in advertising and promotions. After graduating from The Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, she worked in Los Angeles for a few years before returning to Miami, where she eventually got married and had twin boys. 

Now that she’s an empty nester, she is devoted to her craft. Weinstein tries to write 1,000 to 2,500 words a day, starting early in the morning and working until 5 p.m. “Writing is a process. It takes commitment and effort,” she says. 

Weinstein says it’s important for her to create characters her readers can relate to.

“The psychological layers run deep,” she says. “I like to dive inside and give the reader a full spectrum of understanding — from conflict to resolution,” she adds. “And a good cry is always nice!”

Weinstein also enjoys speaking to book clubs and other groups as well as mentoring aspiring authors. “I’ll never forget the help and advice I received from established authors, and it’s one of the most gratifying feelings for me to be able to give back to the writing community,” she says. 

Weinstein’s key pointers for aspiring authors: “Get professionally edited. Manage expectations. Know your goal for your writing. Educate yourself on publishing news and trends. Don’t give up!” she says. “The difference between the successful author and the unsuccessful is the never giving up.”

Back to topbutton