From Greens To Giving

Boca Raton’s Morgan Pressel Makes An Impact On And Off The Golf Course

by

In the competitive world of professional golf, Boca Raton native Morgan Pressel stands out not just for her impressive achievements on the course but also for her significant impact off it.

Pressel divides her time these days between serving as lead TV analyst for the LPGA Tour on NBC/Golf Channel — a role she quickly and expertly transitioned to as her professional golf career came to a close — and running the Morgan Pressel Foundation, the nonprofit she started 17 years ago to fight breast cancer.

A golfing prodigy who started playing at the age of 8, Pressel became the youngest player ever to qualify for the

U.S. Women’s Open at 12. After turning pro at 17 she rose quickly, winning her first LPGA major at 18 — the youngest woman to ever to do so. But while Pressel’s golf career was taking off, her mother developed breast cancer. She lost her battle in 2003 at 43, when Pressel was just 15.

“Establishing the foundation started as a way to handle the grief of losing my mother and to honor her legacy,” says the 35-year-old. “In 2007 we held the first Morgan & Friends tournament at St. Andrews Country Club with the support of my LPGA friends and our community and we haven’t missed a year since.”

Kirsitn Boncher

Partnering with Boca Raton Regional Hospital was a natural  fit — it was where Pressel’s mother received her care. Once the Foundation began to grow, they realized they could fund bigger projects.

“We asked for a wish list and the Mammovan — a mobile breast cancer detection and research center — just jumped off the page. This was exactly what we wanted to do — be visible in the community, provide access and encouragement,” enthuses Pressel.  “Our other big project is the Morgan Pressel Center for Cancer Genetics, led by Dr. Louise Morrell. Here, we test for inherited risk for developing cancers through genetic testing and counseling.”

Currently working to get another Mammovan on the road and traveling the world broadcasting the LPGA tour, Pressel is always happy to return to Boca Raton, her mini Goldendoodles, Zoe and Lilly, and the St. Andrews community that has supported her over the years.

“What is not to love about living in Boca?” she muses. “I get the opportunity to travel all over the world and I just love coming back home where I have tremendous friends and role models that have inspired me in all that I do.”

Back to topbutton